Teeth Extractions in Manhattan
Koppelman Dental provides tooth extraction services in New York, NY. Call 212-382-3782 to learn more and schedule your appointment. Using a special technique, extractions are done in a gentle, atraumatic way, allowing for faster healing and a pain-free experience.
There are some circumstances, however, in which a tooth cannot be saved and must be extracted instead. Tooth extractions are often needed when injury, damage, or decay is too extensive to repair with restorative dental treatments.
Tooth Extraction Procedure
Tooth extractions are a safe outpatient procedure that can be performed at our dental office. Usually, only a local anesthetic injection is needed, but if you have dental anxiety or if other work is needed, we can offer conscious sedation options in order to make sure you’re comfortable and calm while we work. We offer nitrous oxide, or laughing gas, which helps to relieve anxiety, making you feel more comfortable and at ease! And we will ALWAYS make sure you feel no pain.
Using specialized techniques and instruments, we will ensure you’re comfortable throughout the whole process.
Aftercare for Tooth Extraction
Tooth extraction has very few complications. There is a small risk of infection and dry socket following the procedure, and you may also experience discomfort, soreness, and swelling. We will review all the ways to minimize, decrease, and prevent that. We also offer a different type of socket grafting – once a tooth is removed the “socket” – where the tooth used to be, is empty. Grafting fills that socket allows for faster healing, less pain, and less chance of dry socket.
A blood clot will form in the socket where your tooth used to be shortly after your procedure. The clot prevents the socket from bleeding. Rarely, a clot forms and later becomes dislodged or it doesn’t form at all, leaving the jaw bone exposed in the mouth. When this occurs, it’s referred to as a dry socket. We place a small piece of gauze on your socket before you leave our office and ask you to bite down firmly on it in order to promote clotting. When the clot has formed, you can take steps to keep it in place by not smoking or drinking with straws for at least a day after your extraction.
In addition, we offer PRF/PRP procedures where we use your own plasma to allow for faster healing!
You will receive detailed aftercare instructions on the day of the procedure, but some of the most important guidelines to follow are:
- Use ice packs wrapped in towels or cold compresses to relieve any swelling you experience.
- If you are prescribed a medication, take it as instructed.
- Get plenty of rest when you come home from your extraction and keep your head elevated when you’re in bed.
- Try not to sleep on the side of the surgery
- Don’t overexert yourself or exercise in the days following your extraction, as this could dislodge your clot.
- Eat soft foods only for a day or two after the extraction. You can start eating harder foods again after this time or when you feel comfortable doing so.
- Brush and floss as usual, being careful to avoid the extraction site until it has healed. Rinse with salt water as needed for the first 24 hours after your procedure in order to clean the area and promote better healing.
Signs of infection include fever or chills, a foul odor or drainage from the extraction site, and pain that increases as the days go on instead of decreasing. Call our office if you experience any of these symptoms.
Call 212-382-3782 to schedule your appointment.